Thursday, February 02, 2006

Wing Construction (88 Inches wingspan)






27 January 2006


Today I started to built the wing. The main objective is to built strong and reliable, flat bottom wing as cheap as possible with basic tools that I can afford and able to handle.

Putting cost cutting and my limited worksmanship as my main consideration I choose white foam for my wing construction. Wing chord is 12 inches.

Spars were made from two pieces of yardstick. I used 5 minutes epoxy to attach the spars into the foam wing.

As I cannot afford to buy or built hot wire I choose to use regular hobby knife to cut the foam into the aerofoil shape. Later I use sand paper to smooth the surfaces.

Covering was made from regular clear salotape. I plan to paint the wing with dark green color with the invasion strip for visiblity purposes.

Costing
  • Foam RM 8.00 (USD2.0)
  • Yardstick RM14.00(USD3.50)
  • Salotape RM 3.60(USD0.75)
  • 5 Minutes Epoxy RM 6.90(USD1.60)
  • Spray Can Auto Paint RM16.90(USD4.25)
  • Total RM49.40(USD12.45) !!!!
The results
I think the result is not bad. The construction photos tell everything.


My Other blog

www.modelkapalterbang.blogspot.com

No comments: